CGT small business concessions and contributions to super
Lifetime CGT cap
|Income Year||Amount of cap|
Note: The CGT cap is a lifetime limit and is indexed annually and rounded down to the nearest $5,000.
The lifetime CGT cap is currently $1.415 million for 2016-17. This amount is indexed.
The CGT cap is only available for small business entities in certain circumstances described in sections 8.4 and 8.6.
Contributions that may count toward the CGT cap are measured from 10 May 2006.
Amounts that will count towards a person's lifetime CGT cap when contributed to super are:
- capital proceeds from the sale of an asset that qualifies for the 15 year exemption,
- capital proceeds from that sale of an asset that would otherwise qualify for the 15 year exemption, but do not because:
- the asset was a pre-CGT asset
- there was no capital gain on the disposal of the asset
- the asset was sold within the 15 year time-frame due to permanent incapacity, or
- a capital gain that is exempt under the small business retirement exemption.
Last modified: Tuesday, May 2, 2017